Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Irish Open

Irish Open 21 Jan 2012 18:36 #1

• Robert
  • Platinum Boarder
Just wondering peoples views on the Irish Open being brought back to the east coast? If we forget why the Open moved and think of the amount of teams now entering the Open, should we look at bring it back to where UK teams can come across and enter. I am not wanting to open a debate on past events or in any way knocking the venue in Galway, which is a good competition and good venue.

In the long term I think the playing standard of polo in Ireland will be effected in a negative way. Not all teams / players can get to UK competitions.

I understand the date & venue has been set this year, maybe for 2013?

Re: Irish Open 22 Jan 2012 00:16 #2

• Rob Y
  • Gold Boarder
There was "a" UK team (VKC Seals) last year in Galway, and the date chosen last year (and this year I believe) coincide with a UK bank holiday to facilitate entry for UK teams.

While I don't really mind where it's hosted, is there an East Coast venue that can facilitate 3 to 4 pitches? While I think most Irish teams have gotten over what happened, I have heard 2nd hand from people time and time again that foreign teams they know/talk to will not play in Kilcock again, but would come over if they had info in advance, so is there an alternative venue thats suitable if that's the situation?

As an aside: I think that there is a larger symptom to the decreasing standard of polo, that isn't related to the Open's location. If you look at the entries last year, out of 21 teams, 1/3 were west coast, 1/3 from NKCC or WWKC, remaining 1/3 were Kilkenny, U21, Ladies, Kilcock etc. That's 2/3rds of the total entries coming from only 4 clubs...

Is the current location the reason that many of the teams and clubs that used to enter have dropped off the map? Where are the guys from Cork? Belfast? College teams? A few years ago there were 6 or 7 Irish teams playing Div 1, now there is 2? maybe 3? Why is nobody coming up the ranks - that is a bigger issue than having 2 or 3 UK teams come over once a year...

Re: Irish Open 26 Jan 2012 16:33 #3

• Annie
  • Expert Boarder
Someone suggested that low turn-out at comps might be partly because of people only having time for 1-day events. I wouldn't suggest curtailing any of the current events (and the weekend business is part of why I like them myself) but if there were some informal one-day comps do you think people might go? Anything to get people playing a bit more and it might translate into bigger numbers at the Open by the end of summer. It might get some new teams involved if there were come and try it days with an informal comp near enough them. Not fussed on the Open location myself but I don't think a change will solve the problem of falling numbers.

Re: Irish Open 28 Jan 2012 19:46 #4

• Ken
  • Fresh Boarder
Rob Y wrote:

As an aside: I think that there is a larger symptom to the decreasing standard of polo, that isn't related to the Open's location. If you look at the entries last year, out of 21 teams, 1/3 were west coast, 1/3 from NKCC or WWKC, remaining 1/3 were Kilkenny, U21, Ladies, Kilcock etc. That's 2/3rds of the total entries coming from only 4 clubs...

Is the current location the reason that many of the teams and clubs that used to enter have dropped off the map? Where are the guys from Cork? Belfast? College teams? A few years ago there were 6 or 7 Irish teams playing Div 1, now there is 2? maybe 3? Why is nobody coming up the ranks - that is a bigger issue than having 2 or 3 UK teams come over once a year...

Think Rob has the issue here - problem is more a lack of Irish teams playing - if there was good standard tournaments The foreign teams would come. Almost every div one final going back a few years now has been the same two teams - at a push there is only two more coming even close to them - and no top foreign team is going to travel from abroad to play such small tournaments when there are so many other tournaments in different countries that they can go to.

So improving the standard of polo is probably what is required to get the UK (and other) teams back - not sure what can be done to encourage that - but I think the key is getting new clubs involved in the sport - There are many Kayaking and canoe clubs around the country who never play polo and only ever do rivers - the polo season during the summer is when rivers do be down so it should be possible to encourage those teams to play polo and show up at tournaments.

To encourage them they need 2 things -

Firstly someone to introduce them to the game (i.e. basic rules and tactics so they have some idea what they are doing.) This would not be hard - it could be organised with clubs that somebody goes out to them for an evening and covers the basics with them. (I'm not sure what type of budget the NCPC has, but if they were to cover expenses I'm sure there would be a few volunteers for this.) Maybe an idea would be for the development officer to try and orginise people around the country who would be willing/able to give a few afternoons and then to approach all ICU clubs that don't currently play polo and offer them the chance to get a training session going on condition that they enter a tournament (say the Galway bank holiday weekend one.) Hopefully then a few of them would like it and come to more tournaments over the summer and in future years.

Second issue is equipment - Most these clubs won't have polo boats or gear - however they will have river boats and equipment. There is no reason why introductory sessions and training cant take place in these. For tournaments some of the bigger clubs have a lot of club kit - again with some coordination I'm sure these clubs between them would be willing and able between them to bring 2 sets of kit that can be given to teams that don't have their own. Once the gear is all returned in working order (and plastic club gear is pretty durable so they'd just need a once over to make sure footrests and bumpers are in order before handing back), I'm sure clubs would oblige. Or maybe the DCPL committee would be willing do lend boats and BAs)

It would obviously be a a long time before such moves would raise the overall standard - but maybe some new teams who are not this years beginners from WWKC or the college freshers would encourage the teams currently happy in div 3 or lower reaches of div 2 to step up a level and so on.

Re: Irish Open 01 Feb 2012 22:53 #5

• Annie
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Ken,

I think you're right in that we need to get more clubs interested or back interested in polo. I've found clubs often like the idea but need someone to push it in the club before they get interested, not just to one member but 5. Would you be interested in being someone who would introduce new clubs to it in your area? I'll look into gear and approaching clubs who might be interested.

Re: Irish Open 03 Feb 2012 21:40 #6

• Ken
  • Fresh Boarder
I'd be happy to help out with something like that.
Time to create page: 0.96 seconds