Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Where are the college teams gone?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Where are the college teams gone?

Where are the college teams gone? 10 Aug 2011 09:44 #1

• Annie
  • Expert Boarder
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the number of teams entering the summer comps. Very few college teams seem to enter. This summer I think NUIG fielded a team in Galway and Killaloe and that was it.

Does anyone know why this is, UL and DCU used to be at a lot of summer comps? It's a shame as it would boost the team numbers at events if college clubs entered, and it makes sense for them being a varsity discipline. Plus most colleges actually have the polo gear already and pool slots during the academic year. Does anyone have any thoughts on improving the turnout at comps for colleges or just generally?

Re: Where are the college teams gone? 12 Aug 2011 07:52 #2

• Sean Mc
  • Gold Boarder
I think some of the colleges don't even seem to know that there are summer competitions.

At every varsities there's about 15/16 colleges competing in polo, so the numbers are there. It would be good to have even half of these at a comp during the summer. I know that except for playing polo in UL I wouldn't be playing polo now, it would be unlikely that I would've branched out after college and I'd have stayed paddling a river every 6 months or so.

What about putting some incentive in place for the colleges to enter/compete?

It would be a good start to communicate competition dates a bit more widely, people don't seem to check canoepolo.com anymore.

Aside from the college teams, the numbers at Irish competitions have dropped way down. It seems there's less and less people willing to drive and hour or two to play polo anymore.

There's been plenty of views of this thread and no other replies, that just proves the bad state that Irish polo is in.

just my 2 cent,

Seán Mc
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together

http://www.skynet.ie/~seanmc

Re: Where are the college teams gone? 12 Aug 2011 20:37 #3

• Ken
  • Fresh Boarder
I think Sean has it there, overall there is less interest in polo.

That said the colleges are more active in DCPL over the past year (DCU, UCD, TCD and DIT all had teams) and all of those teams participated in a mini tournament hosted by DCUCC so there is some interest there if its harnessed. Possibly the polo season not confiding with college term also has an impact.
Last Edit: 12 Aug 2011 20:43 by Ken.

Re: Where are the college teams gone? 16 Aug 2011 08:05 #4

• Sean Mc
  • Gold Boarder
Any suggestions how to get more college teams to summer competitions?

I know in the past UL would've had at least 1 team at every summer competition and DCU usually had at least 2 teams.
The polo season always happened during the summer break yet colleges could send teams, so no reason why it can't happen again.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together

http://www.skynet.ie/~seanmc

Re: Where are the college teams gone? 16 Aug 2011 14:10 #5

• Rob Y
  • Gold Boarder
I've emailed all the college clubs I could get contact details for drawing attention to this thread.
I've also asked them to get back to me if there is anything, they feel, preventing their respective clubs from entering the Summer Comps, and if there is anything they think can be done to encourage or engage college clubs more fully with the wider polo community.

Hopefully a few will get back to me, or post up here, and we can get a few ideas to get more colleges back playing.

Rob

Re: Where are the college teams gone? 16 Aug 2011 14:23 #6

• Annie
  • Expert Boarder
Wow, nice going Rob. Maybe advertising each comp to all ICU-registered clubs would be an idea if people don't look at this site? I think they do this for marathon races and it is easy enough to keep up with those.

Along with the comps there used to be a set location for the Fri/Sat night drinks, I don't see that advertised much anymore. Is it assumed everyone knows where to go? The freestyle Clifden beach party comps get a better turnout than the national champs so if there was a bigger effort made on plugging the social side of polo that might help.

Also UL having the 50m pool, I know NUIG and UCC play friendlies there sometimes. But maybe a more structured league for college teams there on Thursday nights say once a month could help maintain interest. And it would be ideal polo training for UL if they were interested in hosting.
Time to create page: 1.03 seconds