(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Foul? Video EC 2013. SF ESP-GER

Foul? Video EC 2013. SF ESP-GER 20 Sep 2013 00:55 #1

• Adrián
  • Gold Boarder
Hello,

I have a refereeing question about this video:

At 20:50 there is an action that is not considered foul by the referee. The german player is about to shoot, and the spanish player steals the ball from its hand (It could even be contact with the shooter's arm, but it is not clearly visible).

I think in handball this kind of action is considered very dangerous and therefore severely punished, but I cannot find anywhere in the canoe polo rules where it is specifically addressed. Perhaps in the paragraph 69.5 of the 2013 rules?

69 The following holding is illegal:
A player using a forceful action with one or both hands that results in significant contact with the opponent's arm, or with the ball that is still in contact with the opponent's hand.

So: Why isn't this foul? Are there other similar situations where it actually is? Was it just a mistake of the referee?
Last Edit: 20 Sep 2013 01:47 by Adrián.

Re: Foul? Video EC 2013. SF ESP-GER 05 Dec 2013 13:48 #2

• Joed
  • Fresh Boarder
As they said on the EM 2013, most of the referees had their own way to see the rules.
This should be a foul yes, it looks and can be a very dangerous scenario for the German player.

Re: Foul? Video EC 2013. SF ESP-GER 05 Dec 2013 14:11 #3

• Adrián
  • Gold Boarder
Hey! Thanks for the reply!

Another thing that I wanted to confirm is that the rules say that such an action is foul.

I think I found it. Taking into account that:

c) Significant contact: any hard contact that may result in equipment damage or personal injury.

The Spanish is using a forceful action that results in significant contact(As it is a hard contact that may result in personal injury) with the ball that is still in contact with the opponent's hand.

Perhaps the referee didn't understand the action as forceful, with which I could agree... in which case I think the word forceful should be removed from the wording of the rule. A not forceful action that may result in personal injury should also be foul.

Re: Foul? Video EC 2013. SF ESP-GER 06 Dec 2013 16:55 #4

• Joed
  • Fresh Boarder
The referee perhaps didn't see it full out from his perspective. It's always hard to be a ref during match, at least the German player didn't get any bigger injuries. Which is good

Re: Foul? Video EC 2013. SF ESP-GER 23 Jul 2014 13:26 #5

The actual rule that applies here is:
69.5 A player using a forceful action with one or both hands that results in significant contact with the opponent's arm, or with the ball that is still in contact with the opponent's hand.

It is a little difficult to see from the video- however it is possible for the spanish player to "strip" the ball legally with a controlled sideways motion with little or no contact with the arm of the German player and therefore poses no risk to the German Player.

If of course there was any significant contact with the arm of the German player then yes it should be Illegal and a foul should be called.

By the way - it was pushing the goalkeeper at 21:40 and the goal should not have been awarded- however that is no excuse for the Spanish coach to left the Coaches area and he should have received a green card for doing so.

Duncan Cochrane
Chief Referee
ICF Canoe Polo
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.05 seconds