Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

60 sec shot clock - what do you think?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 60 sec shot clock - what do you think?

RE:60 sec shot clock - what do you think? 19 Mar 2011 17:36 #25

• Toxmose
  • Fresh Boarder
In Belgium the shot clock will not be used.

I believe the stronger teams will not have a problem dealing with the shot clock. They have enough experience to adjust their game play to this new rule. For weaker teams (young players, new players, etc.), it will be harder to get a good game on the pitch. If they need half of the 60 sec to even get to the other side of the pitch, there's not much time left to get out a well aimed shot... It must be a bummer for that team when the buzzer goes off, just as they are about to get a fairly good shot out...
It's the mambo nr.5!!!

RE:60 sec shot clock - what do you think? 20 Mar 2011 00:42 #26

• LJH#3
  • Gold Boarder
People wont have to play with the shotclock until they are at a level that they can handle it.

RE:60 sec shot clock - what do you think? 23 Mar 2011 14:44 #27

• JayCee
  • Senior Boarder
A set of shotclocks here are about $1500 USD (two clocks and a remote), which is a bit expensive for most clubs here. How much are they elsewhere?

I think for now we will try to have a computer projecting a 60' countdown as big as possible on the far side wall of the pool or something. Outside it probably wont work though...

Was at a tournament last weekend, 4 on 4 in a little 25m pool so leaving the net when in defense was a bit scary since most could easily score from anywhere! At some point a player just went back in his half and kept the ball about 2-3 meters from him and just stayed there not moving. Eventually the other team went for it but apart from the crowd booing him the only thing we could do was wish to have a shotclock system!!

Re: 60 sec shot clock - what do you think? 19 Apr 2011 12:06 #28

• Kajakske
  • Expert Boarder
We played the international tournament of Helmond this weekend, which was the first for me with the new shot clock.
Aside from the technical issues (there wasn't an audible sound at 20s) and the rules confusion (should the clock reset when a shot is taken and then a corner is awarded, reset at shot or at corner?) I found it an interesting new addition.
In the 7 played games we only had a few occurences where we had to take a shot because of the clock, the same goes for our opponents. The fact that it resets when with a foul is a good thing.
It think the shotclock is a bigger change for national squads who tend to take a longer time to form an attack.
Kajakpolo Shop - http://kajakpolo.be

Re: 60 sec shot clock - what do you think? 02 May 2011 01:45 #29

• vish
  • Platinum Boarder
I refereed my first competition with a shot clock in NZ this past weekend, at National League A Grade. I thought it was fantastic. We had a 60 second shot clock with a 20 second warning. We used a separate official for the stop clock.

Weak players tended to put up a shot too soon when the 20 second warning went off. Teams that rushed their offence never even got to the 20 second warning. Some teams almost got to the last second but shot just in time- that happened only four times in the tournament when I was refereeing. So, in general, the effect of the shot clock was to prevent people just holding the ball for minutes without doing anything. They had to get the ball up the court and then hammer the defence for all it was worth because they had to make it count.

I saw some fantastic defence with multiple shots put up, fierce competition for the rebound and some strong one on one defence to slow the ball from the turn over. I also heard some strong tactical decisions made to allow for the shot clock- the 20 second warning let teams know the ball was coming but it wasn't too soon that they automatically could block a shot.

Teams who fouled off the ball, when the offence was bringing the ball up, tended to disadvantage their team because the shot clock was reset by referees calling advantage and so the opponents had more than 60 seconds.

I had some difficulties with shot clocks not being reset and not knowing what to do about it. We decided to time out, then restart or adjust the clock according to the time that ran down. Some shot clock officials also reset the clock on sideline throws when they shouldn't have. Again, we had to time out, run the clock back down to what it should have been and then restart. It really matters who is on the scorebench, and it's very annoying to try and signal a restart and then see people half asleep at the bench, not restarting it. I also had a situation with some smart alecs wandering down the pool in front of the officials so that I couldn't communicate with the scorebench.

We thought we might like to have the stop clock have a signal when it was restarted so that if we signalled a play on and reset, we could hear a blip and know the scorebench was onto it. Our signal for the 20 seconds was a trifle too long, just a brief signal would have been better.

Scorebenches asked questions like: Do I start it when it has travelled a metre or when the whistle blows? Should we stop it for when the ball is out on a corner, because ordinary time is running down, and the teams look like they're running down time while they still have the seconds on the shot clock?

I was really nervous about refereeing it for the first time. Sometimes I forgot to signal reset when I called advantage for a foul and because we had only one display, as lead ref I couldn't see it and found it difficult to judge what the timekeepers had done wrong and where I had to reset it to. I did think it was fantastic though, and I was not a supporter of this idea when I used to play.
Dance like it hurts,
Love like you need money,
Work when people are watching.
- Scott Adams

Re: 60 sec shot clock - what do you think? 02 May 2011 06:09 #30

• tak
  • Expert Boarder
vish wrote:

Scorebenches asked questions like: Do I start it when it has travelled a metre or when the whistle blows? Should we stop it for when the ball is out on a corner, because ordinary time is running down, and the teams look like they're running down time while they still have the seconds on the shot clock?

Hey Vish, so have you got any answer to the questions?
Time to create page: 1.38 seconds