Username Password: Remember me

BCU Canoe Polo Committee Website
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: BCU Canoe Polo Committee Website

BCU Canoe Polo Committee Website 24 Mar 2004 18:35 #1

• jamesho
  • Junior Boarder
For more infomation about canoe polo in Great Britain vist the BCU Canoe Polo Committee's website http://www.canoepolo.org.uk/

Any surgestion or ideas for the site should be sent to feedback@canoepolo.org.uk

RE:BCU Canoe Polo Committee Website 06 Oct 2005 07:47 #2

Hi James,
I visited that site, but what information I am actually looking for is not there. I am looking for is names of the clubs that were the most dominant in the period of time 1980-1992, names of the top players, which people were mostly involved as organisers or as committee members, 'old photographs of that period etc'.
I am sure that amongst the Brits who read this forum, some of the information should sprout out!

jamesho wrote:
For more infomation about canoe polo in Great Britain vist the BCU Canoe Polo Committee's website http://www.canoepolo.org.uk/

Any surgestion or ideas for the site should be sent to feedback@canoepolo.org.uk

RE:BCU Canoe Polo Committee Website 13 Oct 2005 19:27 #3

Hi Reza,

Probably going to gush a bit as onto my second glass of vino tinto but....

The BCU site isn't the best for historical data as it was set up several years ago, wasn't particularly maintained (mainly because the person responsible moved to France!) and then was completely (and very professionally IMO) revamped by James & Co. (I think he did quite a bit?).

I came into the game towards the end of the period you mention, just when we got rid of the old backboard goals and moved to nets, before compulsory faceguards, etc. etc. etc. From what I remember, although it is vague as was pre-University days, the "best" teams of the day were the likes of St. Albans, Meridian, Bere Forest, Woodmill; others have fallen by the wayside such as the "Warriors" who hailed from Durham and Tyneside and were known for their particularly physical game.

Many of the people involved then seem to still be in circulation though, so for a better view you could try contacting some of them.

Curly, clearly, was involved then and (seemingly) well before then, there's Lynn Knowles but also people such as Brian and Jackie Moore from Woodmill, who are still heavily involved in polo and promoting polo in Scotland. I recently had the honour & Privaledge of playing in the Scotish Champs where both could be seen encouraging youngsters to get in and give it a go. Although we lost the final to Woodmill it was really encouraging to see so many youngsters at the weekend. They outnumbered us (adults?) and their enthusiam was incredibly infectious. I suppose I actually have these two to thank for me meeting my wife! It was Jackie and Brian who first taught her to canoe many moons (but not too many) in Dunfermline, Fife. (we could possibly help out here if interested).

Others, Joan and Ian Purchase from Tynemouth; been around long enough to know the score - been there, got the T-shirt, etc. (Contact Bungy for their numbers).

Dave Brown, easily contactable, etc. etc. etc.

This is just the start, but maybe worthwhile. I know that, having read your "publication" you would want as rounded a profile as possible, therefore, I have joted down the names of a few people that maybe may sometimes be overlooked when looking at the input of people to the sport.

Hope it all helps/makes sense... blah blah blah

Told you i'd gush!

ta ta

RE:BCU Canoe Polo Committee Website 07 Nov 2005 13:20 #4

• diddy1
  • Fresh Boarder
We were about in the Mid eighties I think hit div 1 around 1984-85 ish as GVP.

Also Dragon which was a touring team and attended many comps in many different countries most of which were organised by Ian Williams from Wales.

Another team not mentioned which we kept bumping into was Dudley and sandwell
Thanks John

RE:BCU Canoe Polo Committee Website 07 Nov 2005 15:12 #5

Yes I know that the Dragons travelled abroad a lot.
After I had met Ian Williams at the Crystal Palace Canoe Exibition in 1983, he and his 'Rainbow Raiders'/Dragon Rejects/Dragon teams came to play in various of our Internationals at Manzano in 1984 and at Gorizia in 1987, 1988.

Also we used to bump into the Dragons teams often in Amsterdam in the 1980's.
The Dragon's have always been welcomed in Italy; we have had many fond memories of their game & antics both on and off the pitch!
Come back anytime!

RE:BCU Canoe Polo Committee Website 08 Sep 2009 14:17 #6

• dunksm
  • Senior Boarder
the Humbersiders were around then. Dave Rawding etc still playing with kingston a div 2 also Mark Greenley still playing with mariners i think :rolleyes:div2
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.00 seconds